Shaved Asparagus Salad with Radishes
- 1 bunch asparagus, large spears Add to list
- 3 to 4 small radishes (icicle radishes, if available) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 scant teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup local goat cheese, crumbled Add to list
- Edible flowers for garnish (borage, calendula or sage flowers) (optional) Add to list
- Crusty bread, for serving Add to list
Remove the woody ends of the asparagus, and using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus lengthwise. (You can use the trimmings to make soup or stock). Cut the radishes into quarters and mix with the asparagus in a bowl.
Add the lemon juice, zest, vinegar, oil, marjoram, salt and pepper to a jar. Twist the lid on tight and shake well.
Pile the asparagus and radishes on a salad plate, much like pasta. Drizzle some of the dressing, to your taste, over the asparagus and radishes. Scatter some cheese over the top and garnish with the edible flowers.
Serve with a nice crusty bread.
Each serving: 160 cal, 15g fat (3g sat), 5mg chol, 190mg sodium, 3g carb, 1g fiber, 3g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor