Sesame-Wasabi Grilled Albacore Tuna Salad with Mango and Cilantro
For the tuna
- 8 ounces albacore tuna Add to list
- 1/4 cup soy sauce Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil Add to list
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- Juice and zest of 1 lime Add to list
- 1/4 cup dry sherry Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dry wasabi powder or 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi paste (or more to taste, of course!) Add to list
For the salad
- 2 ripe mangoes Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño chile or more to taste Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 2 green onions, sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- Juice of 1/2 lime Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sweet red chili sauce Add to list
- Pinch salt Add to list
- Pinch sugar if fruit is not overly ripe Add to list
In a large non-aluminum bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Add the tuna filets and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours.
To cook, sear in hot pan or grill over hot coals for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until just done through. Do not overcook. Cool thoroughly, cut into small cubes and toss with the salad ingredients.
For the salad
Peel the mango by cutting a small cap off each end and standing it upright on your cutting board. With a sharp knife, shave off the peel from top to bottom in strips, following the contour of the fruit. Cut slices of fruit off the pit and chop the slices into a small dice. Place the mango in a bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients including the albacore. Season with additional lime if desired.
Garnish with sliced green onion and sesame seeds.
Recipe by, PCC Chef