Sesame-Garlic Broccoli Salad
Serves: Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish
Raw broccoli is "cured" with oil and vinegar, so the taste is more delicate than you may expect.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, or more to taste Add to list
- 2 heads broccoli (1 pound each) cut into bite-size florets Add to list
- 3/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 5 fat cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds Add to list
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil Add to list
- Large pinch crushed red pepper flakes Add to list
In a large bowl, stir together the vinegar and salt. Add broccoli and toss to combine.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in sesame oil and pepper flakes. Pour mixture over broccoli and toss well. Let sit for at least 1 hour at room temperature, then chill in fridge until ready to serve.
Source: Sound Consumer, February 2012
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »