Seasonal Fruit Platter with Lavender-Strawberry-Champagne Sauce
Serves: 10 to 14
This is one way to truly celebrate the coming of the warm months. The lavender scented berry sauce makes any fruit seem even more appealing. Try this one at your next party or picnic!
- Assorted berries such as strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. Add to list
- Various colors of grapes Add to list
- Assorted fruit such as cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, mango, oranges, kiwi, plums, nectarines, papaya, star fruit, etc. Add to list
- Champagne Sauce (recipe follows) Add to list
- Fresh blossoms such as lavender, nasturtiums, carnations or pansies Add to list
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, capped and coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup champagne or sparkling wine Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice Add to list
- 5 to 6 fresh mint leaves Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lavender blossoms (or substitute 1 teaspoon dried blossoms) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated fresh ginger Add to list
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier Add to list
Clean the berries and set aside. Cut the grapes into small clusters with shears and wash well. Peel and seed the rest of the fruits (where necessary) and cut everything (except the grapes) into slices.
Fan out the melons on a serving platter. Surround with the slices of the additional fruit. Mound bunches of grapes in various spots. Pile up the berries here and there. Garnish the tray with fresh flowers. Serve the Champagne Sauce in a small bowl on the side.
Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree. Chill well.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated at the Pike Place Market Flower Festival, May 9, 2010.