Scalloped Potatoes with Gouda and Fennel
- 1 cup whipping cream (see note) Add to list
- 1 cup half-and-half Add to list
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed Add to list
- 2 pounds organic russet potatoes, peeled Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) firmly packed shredded goat Gouda (Cypress Grove Midnight Moon is a delicious treat) Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Generously butter an 8- by 8-inch glass baking dish with 2-inch-high sides.
Combine cream, half-and-half, fresh fennel and fennel seeds in a heavy, large skillet. Thinly slice potatoes and add to skillet. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently to separate vegetable slices. Boil 5 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Transfer half of the potato mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle half of the Gouda over the mixture. Top with remaining potato mixture. Firmly press mixture down. Sprinkle remaining Gouda over the top. Cover dish tightly with foil.
Bake until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
It's okay to use all half-and-half instead of cream for a lighter dish.
each serving: 330 cal, 21g fat (13g sat), 75mg chol, 280mg sodium, 25g carb, 2g fiber, 11g protein
Source: Recipe adapted from "Bon Appétit"
PCC Sound Consumer, November 2012