Savory Stuffed Pumpkin
Prep time: 1 1/4 hour
This recipe is a filling alternative for vegetarian Thanksgiving guests. Any winter squash would be a suitable substitute for the pumpkin.
- 2 pumpkins (2 to 3 pounds each) Add to list
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts Add to list
- 1 tablespoon oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped celery Add to list
- 4 cups cubed bread, whole wheat or dark Add to list
- 2 cups chopped spinach Add to list
- 1/2 cup diced Gala apple Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper Add to list
- 1 cup grated Gouda cheese (optional) Add to list
Cut pumpkins in half and remove seeds. Bake, flesh down, in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
Lightly toast hazelnuts. Let cool and rub off the papery outer layer. Chop. Lightly sauté onion and celery in olive oil.
In a large bowl, combine hazelnuts, celery, onion and the remainder of ingredients, except for Gouda.
Heap the pumpkin halves with stuffing. Bake, covered, for 20 more minutes. Remove from oven and cover each pumpkin with a layer of Gouda (optional). Bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes.
Source: Sound Consumer November 2000
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »