Savory Salad Rolls with Creamy Almond Dipping Sauce
- 8 large rice papers (spring roll skins) Add to list
- 1 large pie plate with warm water (for dipping the rice paper) Add to list
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds Add to list
- 6 to 8 whole rainbow chard or napa cabbage leaves, sliced into strips Add to list
- 1/2 block firm tofu, marinated, cut into 4 x 1/2-inch strips or pre-baked tofu (see Tofu Marinade) Add to list
- 3/4 cup bean sprouts Add to list
- 1/2 sheet nori, sliced into 1/2-inch strips Add to list
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced, grated or shaved into 4-inch strips Add to list
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and sliced into 4-inch strips Add to list
- 2 green onions, sliced lengthwise Add to list
- 1 medium beet, thinly sliced or grated Add to list
- 8 small sprigs of fresh mint, basil or cilantro Add to list
- Other options for filling: 4 stalks asparagus, 1 small jicama, 1/2 cup lightly sautéed morel mushrooms Add to list
- Creamy Almond Dipping Sauce (follows) Add to list
Creamy Almond Dipping Sauce
- 1/3 cup almond butter Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 1/2 medium lime) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons tamari Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sweetener like Sucanat or honey Add to list
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1/4 teaspoon chili oil Add to list
- 1/4 cup water Add to list
Soak 2 to 3 wrappers at a time in a bowl of warm water for 1 minute or until they are soft and pliable. Remove one wrapper and place onto a smooth surface.
Avoiding the outer 2 inches, sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds onto the wrapper. Next, sprinkle some of the chard or cabbage leaves, then a few strips of each remaining ingredient onto the wrapper. You will want to have the ingredients off to one side of the center and avoid the outer 1 to 2 inches.
Fold the smallest edge of the wrapper over the contents and roll over once. Keeping a firm hold on the center, fold the edges into the center — much like wrapping a burrito. Next, roll the entire piece up, trying to make it as tight as possible. Tears may occur, but it will still taste great!
Set the spring roll aside and start on the next roll. After completing all 8 rolls, slice each one on the diagonal and serve with Creamy Almond Dipping Sauce. An alternative to serving with dipping sauce is to place 1 to 2 tablespoons of the sauce into the roll before wrapping.
Creamy Almond Dipping Sauce
In a bowl, mix together all ingredients except water. You may use a food processor or blender if you like. After combining the ingredients, gradually add water while stirring until you reach the consistency you prefer. Add more water for a thinner consistency, or less for a thicker sauce.
If you plan to make the sauce ahead of time, add a little more water to account for evaporation. The sauce can be made up to 1 day in advance and kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and pour over pressed tofu. Let sit for a minimum of 15 minutes. Or, place in a sealed container and marinate the tofu overnight in the refrigerator.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks intructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2010.