Sausage, Lentil and Greens Soup
Serves: 8 to 10
- Olive oil Add to list
- 5 to 7 garlic cloves, minced Add to list
- 1 small onion, chopped Add to list
- 4 Italian-style chicken sausages, quartered and chopped Add to list
- 3 to 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils Add to list
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock (or a combination) Add to list
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1 bunch winter greens (such as collards, kale or escarole), cut into thin ribbons Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese Add to list
- Splash of lemon juice Add to list
Heat a Dutch oven or large soup pot and add olive oil to cover the bottom. Add garlic and sauté until it just starts to turn golden, then add onions and sauté until translucent. Add sausage pieces and brown lightly.
Stir in celery and lentils and stir for a few seconds. Add stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes until lentils are cooked, but still firm to the bite.
Add tomatoes and greens and simmer until greens are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grated Pecorino Romano cheese and a splash of lemon juice.
This soup freezes well.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer January 2009
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »