Crispy Salmon Cakes with Wheat Germ and Roasted Mushrooms
Yield: 8 to 12 cakes
Combine these Omega-3- and vitamin B complex-packed salmon cakes with the Nuts and Seeds Pesto and you truly have a super-power-packed combo! It's almost a bonus that the combination also is gorgeous and delicious!
- 6 to 8 crimini mushrooms Add to list
- 1 pound fresh salmon, skin and bones removed Add to list
- Olive oil Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 egg, beaten Add to list
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill Add to list
- 1/4 cup minced celery Add to list
- 1/4 cup minced red bell peppers Add to list
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce Add to list
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ Add to list
- 1/4 cup panko or fresh breadcrumbs Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Spike seasoning Add to list
- Lime wedges, for garnish Add to list
- Nuts and Seeds Pesto with Lime and Chipotle Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Toss mushrooms and salmon in a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast, side by side, for 15 minutes or until salmon is just cooked through. Allow to cool. Shred salmon with a fork and finely chop mushrooms, squeezing out any excess moisture.
In a mixing bowl, combine egg, mayonnaise, dill, celery, peppers, Worcestershire, wheat germ, breadcrumbs and Spike seasoning. Fold in salmon and mushrooms. If the mixture is too wet, add more breadcrumbs; if too dry, add a bit more mayonnaise.
Form the salmon mixture into patties, about 2-inches wide and 3/4-inch-thick. Chill for about 1 hour (or you may refrigerate overnight).
Heat a little olive oil in a heavy sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Fry the cakes until deep golden on each side, 3 to 4 minutes to a side.
Serve the cakes piping hot with lime wedges and Nuts and Seeds Pesto with Lime and Chipotle.
As an option you may press the uncooked cakes in a bit of toasted wheat germ to give them a crispier coating (do this after you have formed them, and before refrigerating so the wheat germ will adhere well).
This recipe makes delicious stuffed mushrooms as well. Prepare the filling as directed, omitting the cooked mushrooms. Pop the stems out of about 16 crimini mushroom caps and fill with the salmon mixture. Sprinkle with wheat germ and bake at 400° F for about 15 minutes.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired October 12, 2011.