Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons salt Add to list
- 12 to 16 small red potatoes, halved Add to list
- Extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling) Add to list
- 1/4 pound small green beans, ends trimmed Add to list
- 1/2 cup Niçoise olives (or other ripe black olives) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme Add to list
- 2 tablespoons capers Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 1 head butter leaf lettuce, leaves separated and washed Add to list
- Vinaigrette Dressing (recipe follows) Add to list
- 8 ounces quality canned tuna, drained, or 10 to 12 ounces fresh tuna steak Add to list
- 2 small tomatoes, quartered Add to list
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered Add to list
Optional additions for salad
- Thinly sliced fennel Add to list
- Thinly sliced red bell pepper Add to list
- Thinly sliced red onion Add to list
- Anchovy fillets Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 1 teaspoon horseradish Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (any combination you love) Add to list
- 1/4 cup white or sherry wine vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
Bring a pot of water to a simmer and add salt. Cook the potatoes just until tender and remove them from the water (don't drain the water). Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and toss with a little olive oil. Add the beans to the pot and cook until tender. Drain them and refresh in cold water. Toss the beans in olive oil. You may chill — the salad can be served chilled or at room temperature, whichever you prefer.
Place the olives in a bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil. Toss in the thyme, capers and lemon juice and mix well.
Toss the lettuce in a small amount of the Vinaigrette Dressing and arrange on a serving platter. Place the tuna in the center of the platter and surround with the tomatoes, eggs, beans, potatoes and olives. You also may choose to include one or all of the other options listed above. (It's entirely up to your taste and imagination at this point. Feel free to play!)
Drizzle the entire platter with the dressing and garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of fresh herbs. Beautiful!
In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the oil. Mix well. With a wire whisk, blend the oil in a stream into the vinegar mixture until it is smooth and emulsified.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired July 20, 2011.