Sage Breakfast Gravy
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter Add to list
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1/2 pound PCC Pork Breakfast Sausage, chopped in food processor Add to list
- 1/4 pound PCC Turkey Sausage, chopped in food processor Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage Add to list
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup unbleached wheat flour Add to list
- 2 cups whole milk Add to list
- 1/2 cup half and half Add to list
In a heavy, wide-bottom pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, chopped sausages, sage, poultry seasoning, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine.
Sprinkle in flour. Mix thoroughly and cook while stirring, so it doesn’t stick to the pan. Add milk in small amounts, whisking continuously to avoid lumps.
Add half and half and bring to a simmer to thicken while whisking to avoid scorching. Remove bay leaf. Let cool slightly before serving.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!