Rustic Beer Bread
Yield: One 9-inch loaf; about 16 slices
This hearty quick bread is great with soup or chili and makes excellent toast. You can customize this basic recipe however you like with herbs, cheese or nuts. For inspiration, see suggested add-ins.
- 1 cup whole spelt flour Add to list
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Optional add-ins (see note) Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups light beer Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Grease a loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt (when measuring the flours, lightly spoon into cups). Stir in additions, if desired.
Add the beer and stir just until the mixture is moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack.
- 2 cloves garlic, grated, and 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup slivered chives or scallions
- 3/4 cup each dried cranberries and chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds and 1 teaspoon each dried sage, rosemary and thyme
- 1 cup chopped pitted black or kalamata olives and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Each serving: 70 cal, 0g fat, 0mg chol, 280mg sodium, 13g carb, 1g fiber, 2g protein