Ruby Chutney with Warm Winter Spices
Yield: Makes about 3 cups
This chutney is a brilliant jewel tone and aromatic with spice. It is a lovely alternative to regular cranberry sauce.
- 1 tablespoon butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries Add to list
- 3/4 cup sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves Add to list
- 4 pears, cored and diced Add to list
In a heavy sauté pan set over medium heat, melt butter; add onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add ginger, cranberries, sugar, vinegar and spices. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in pears and cook for 5 minutes longer.
Chutney will keep for 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.