Roasted Vegetable Nut Loaf
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 cups whole mixed nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds) Add to list
- 1 to 2 carrots, peeled and chopped coarsely Add to list
- 1/2 pound celery root and/or parsnips, peeled and chopped coarsely Add to list
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil or olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed Add to list
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or filtered water Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon mild curry powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme Add to list
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds Add to list
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper Add to list
Preheat oven to 250º F. Spread the nuts on a baking tray and place in the oven. Toast until lightly colored, 15 to 20 minutes, then cool slightly. Place in a food processor and process until the nuts are the consistency of bread crumbs.
Increase the oven temperature to 350º F. Place the carrots, celery root and/or parsnips in a mixing bowl and coat with a little of the oil. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes until lightly colored. Let cool.
Place the rinsed quinoa in a small saucepan with the broth or water, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 7 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit, covered, in the pan for another 15 to 20 minutes.
In a skillet, sauté the onions, curry powder and herbs in the remaining oil for about 10 minutes. Finely chop the oven-roasted vegetables in a food processor. Grind the flax seeds in a spice grinder and process into a meal; place the flax meal in a small bowl with 6 tablespoons filtered water; let sit for 5 minutes.
Place all ingredients, including the arrowroot, salt and pepper, in a mixing bowl and combine well. Line an 8x8-inch Pyrex pan with parchment paper. Spread the mixture evenly in the pan. Cover with foil. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for another 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cut into 12 slices.
Served at the 2009 fall member meeting. The complete menu included:
- Roasted Pork Loin with Mushroom Sauce
- Roasted Vegetable Nut Loaf with Mushroom Béchamel Sauce (vegan) or Herbed Mushroom Sauce
- Fall Farro Pilaf (vegan)
- Spiced Beet Salad with Local Mixed Greens, Pickled Onions and Sherry Vinaigrette (vegan)
- Baked Pears with Spiced Whipped Cream and Wheat-Free Vanilla Cake
- Fidalgo Bay Coffees
Recipe by, professional whole food chef, nutritional therapist, and culinary and nutritional educator, Nature's Way Food
Source: 2009 PCC fall member meeting