Roasted Tofu with Herbs
For best results, marinate the tofu overnight. A long marinating time allows the tofu to take on all the heady flavors of the Mushroom Ragout.
- 1 pound pressed tofu, sliced into 8 rectangles Add to list
- 1 cup vegetable stock Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots Add to list
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs: thyme, parsley, sage and chives Add to list
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard Add to list
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast Add to list
- 1 tablespoon honey Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Bread crumbs to coat Add to list
- Mushroom Ragout Add to list
Press tofu for 30 to 60 minutes between two plates. Use a tea kettle or a heavy can from your cupboard to weight the top plate down.
In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients, except bread crumbs. Place tofu cutlets in a large sealable plastic bag. Add marinade.
Marinate tofu for several hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 450° F. Lightly coat a baking dish with oil.
Dredge and coat wet tofu in bread crumbs. Roast for 10 minutes on one side, then 5 on the other.
Serve topped with Mushroom Ragout.
Recipe by, former PCC staff