Roasted Root Vegetables with Hazelnuts, Chèvre and Cranberry Vinaigrette
This is a beautiful presentation for a light lunch or as the first course to a cozy dinner. Use any of the myriad of beautiful root vegetables that you love in this dish!
- 3 Dungeness or other sweet carrots Add to list
- 2 parsnips, peeled Add to list
- 1 turnip, peeled Add to list
- 1 red beet, peeled Add to list
- 1 medium yam, peeled Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts Add to list
- Chèvre Add to list
- Cranberry Vinaigrette Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Coarsely cut all the vegetables into 3/4-inch squares and toss them in the olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture in a single layer on a sheet pan. (Note: You may toss and cook the beets separately, if you like, since they tend to dye the other vegetables bright pink.)
Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes. Add the hazelnuts to the vegetable mixture and continue roasting for 5 to 8 minutes longer or until the yams are fork tender and the mixture is caramelized around the edges.
Place a round of chèvre in the center of each plate and scatter the vegetables and hazelnuts around. Drizzle with some of the Cranberry Vinaigrette. (You'll have extra vegetables.)
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show which aired November 17, 2007