Roasted Pumpkin, Sugar and Spice Tart
Yield: One 10-inch tart
- 1 small sugar pie pumpkin or 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree Add to list
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half Add to list
- 1 cup sugar or brown sugar Add to list
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten Add to list
- 2 teaspoons Spice Blend Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Pastry dough for 1 pie crust Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar Add to list
For the pumpkin puree
You may do this up to 2 days in advance. Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut pumpkin in half crosswise and place it, cut-side down, on a baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool, scoop out seeds, and then scoop out pumpkin flesh and puree until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the tart
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Combine 3 cups pumpkin puree with cream, sugar, eggs, Spice Blend and salt.
Line a 10-inch tart pan with pastry dough and pour in pumpkin filling. Sprinkle the top with turbinado sugar. Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° F. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes more, or until the center is set.
Cool completely before serving.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on October 23, 2010.