Roasted Cherry, Chorizo and Orzo Salad
Rich sausage and sweet cherries are lightened up with fresh arugula and orzo. This is the sort of salad that can easily serve as a complete light meal in the heat of summer.
- 1 pound orzo pasta Add to list
- 1/2 pound fresh cherries, pitted Add to list
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 6 ounces cured Spanish chorizo or salami, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- 5 ounces baby arugula Add to list
- 1/4 cup shaved Manchego cheese Add to list
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional) Add to list
In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook orzo until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain cool and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Toss cherries with a drizzle of oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on a rimmed baking sheet until tender and slightly charred, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
Drizzle oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry chorizo until crisp, then drain on paper towels. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, garlic and 6 tablespoons olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss dressing with orzo, roasted cherries, chorizo, arugula, Manchego and pine nuts. May be served warm or chilled.
The flavor of dark red cherries such as Lapins or Bings is better suited to this dish than that of mild Rainier cherries.
Each serving: 570 cal, 27g fat (7g fat), 30mg chol, 590mg sodium, 64g fiber, 9g sugar, 20g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef