Roasted Carrots and Beets
Carrots are from the Umbelliferae family and are related to parsnips, fennel, caraway, cumin and dill.
- 6 medium or 4 large beets, greens trimmed and stems left on Add to list
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise, then quartered Add to list
- 2 teaspoons olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons melted butter Add to list
- 1/4 cup orange or tangerine juice Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill Add to list
Preheat oven to 400Âº F.
Place the beets in a small ovenproof pan with a little water; cover tightly with foil. Roast for 50 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of the beets. Test with a fork for tenderness. Cool, then cut off the stem ends and slip off the skins. Cut in half or in bite-size pieces; keep them warm until carrots are roasted.
Carrots will cook in less time than the beets. In a separate baking pan, coat them with the olive oil and roast for 15 to 25 minutes, depending on their size, until fork-tender.
Combine beets and carrots with melted butter and juice; add salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped dill.
Each serving: 110 cal, 6g fat (2.5g sat),10mg chol, 290mg sodium, 15g carb, 4g fiber, 2g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks writer
Source: Sound Consumer January 2008
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »