Roasted Butternut Squash with Penne Pasta
- 1 medium butternut squash Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1 pound dried penne pasta Add to list
- 1/2 cup minced parsley Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Peel the butternut squash. Using a heavy knife, cut the squash lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard them. Dice the squash into 1 inch cubes.
Place the squash cubes in a large mixing bowl, and add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil, lemon juice and the two teaspoons of salt. Toss the ingredients to mix well. Place the mixture in a large roasting pan and roast for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. The squash should be tender-firm, not mushy.
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain and place pasta in a large serving bowl. Mix in the cooked squash mixture, parsley, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper.
Source: Sound Consumer October 2004
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »