Roasted Butternut Squash with Penne Pasta
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 medium butternut squash Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1 pound dried penne pasta Add to list
- 1/2 cup minced parsley Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- Pepper, to taste Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Peel butternut squash. Using a heavy knife, cut squash lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard them. Dice squash into 1-inch cubes.
Place squash cubes in a large mixing bowl, and add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Toss ingredients to mix well. Place the mixture in a large roasting pan and roast for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. The squash should be tender-firm, not mushy.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain and place pasta in a large serving bowl. Mix in cooked squash mixture, parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Each serving: 360 cal, 9g fat (2g sat), 5mg chol, 760mg sodium, 57g carb, 3g fiber, 5g sugars, 11g protein
Source: Sound Consumer October 2004
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »