Roasted Beet Summer Salad
- 10 to 12 small beets: red, yellow and Chiogga Add to list
- 3 green onions Add to list
- 2 yellow peaches or nectarines Add to list
- 5 ounces baby spinach, arugula or watercress (or a mix) Add to list
- 2 ounces goat or feta cheese Add to list
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed (optional) Add to list
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo or butter beans (optional) Add to list
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Remove the beet tops (save to sauté for another meal!) and wash and dry the beets. Rub each beet in olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Place in a roasting pan and cover with foil or a lid.
Roast beets for 45 minutes or until done, when a knife easily enters the largest one. Let cool. Slip off beet skins by hand or with a paring knife and cut into segments.
Slice the green onions on a diagonal. Cut the peaches in half, remove the pit, and cut into segments. Rinse and spin-dry the salad greens. Crumble the goat or feta cheese. Prepare the dressing by placing orange juice, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and fresh thyme in a small mixing bowl. Using a whisk, slowly incorporate the olive oil.
On a serving plate or on four individual salad plates, place the greens, then the roasted beets and peaches. Sprinkle the green onion slices on top, then the goat cheese and capers. Drizzle dressing over the salad and serve.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer August 2006