Roasted Beet Summer Salad
- 10 to 12 small beets: red, yellow and Chioggia Add to list
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt Add to list
- Fresh ground black pepper Add to list
- 3 green onions, sliced on the diagnoal Add to list
- 2 yellow peaches or nectarines, pitted and segmented Add to list
- 5 ounces baby spinach, arugula or watercress (or a mix) Add to list
- 2 ounces goat or feta cheese Add to list
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo or butter beans (optional) Add to list
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed (optional) Add to list
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Remove the beet tops (save to sauté for another meal!) and wash and dry the beets.
Rub each beet in olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Place in a roasting pan and cover with foil or a lid. Roast beets for 45 minutes or until done, when a knife easily enters the largest one. Let cool. Slip off beet skins by hand or with a paring knife and cut into segments.
Prepare the dressing by placing orange juice, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and fresh thyme in a small mixing bowl. Using a whisk, slowly incorporate the olive oil.
Place the greens on a serving plate or on four individual salad plates; top with roasted beets and peaches. Sprinkle with green onion, goat cheese, beans and capers. Drizzle dressing over the salad and serve.
Each serving: 300 cal, 21g fat (4g sat), 5mg chol, 270mg sodium, 23g carb, 5g fiber, 5g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer August 2006
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »