Roasted Acorn Squash with Quinoa
- 2 small acorn squash, halved and seeded Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra for drizzling Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock Add to list
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed Add to list
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar Add to list
- 1 shallot, minced Add to list
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled Add to list
- 1 cup packed baby spinach, cut into ribbons Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried prunes or raisins Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional) Add to list
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Place squash face-up on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until fork tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil in a saucepan. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, until all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
Toss quinoa with 1 tablespoon olive oil, vinegar, shallot, goat cheese, spinach, walnuts, prunes, parsley, thyme and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Fill each squash cavity with quinoa mixture and return to the oven. Cook until cheese melts and quinoa toasts slightly, about 10 minutes.