Risotto Stuffed Pumpkins
A wonderful addition to the holiday table as a vegetarian main course, this savory risotto stuffed pumpkin is beautiful to look at and delicious to eat!
- 4 small (about 2 pounds each) sugar pie pumpkins Add to list
- Olive oil, for roasting Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1/2 onion, finely diced Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- 1 cup Arborio rice Add to list
- 1/4 cup dry white wine Add to list
- 3 to 4 cups hot vegetable stock Add to list
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest Add to list
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
Preheat oven to 350Â° F.
Using a sharp, sturdy knife carefully cut away the top 1/3 of 3 pumpkins. Scrape out seeds and stringy flesh (reserve the seeds for roasting, if desired). Rub pumpkins, inside and out, with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place pumpkins and lids in a lightly oiled baking dish and roast until just tender, about 1 hour.
Peel and cut remaining pumpkin into small cubes.
Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme and diced pumpkin; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour rice into pan and stir to coat with oil. Continue stirring rice until the edges are translucent and rice smells toasted, about 3 minutes. Deglaze with white wine and simmer until reduced.
Add hot stock, one cup at a time, stirring constantly until absorbed. Continue adding stock until rice is tender and creamy, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in lemon zest and Parmesan cheese.
Divide risotto between roasted pumpkins. Serve immediately.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »