- 1/4 cup fruity olive oil Add to list
- 1 large shallot, minced Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice Add to list
- 1/2 cup good dry white wine Add to list
- 5 to 6 cups flavorful chicken, mushroom or vegetable broth Add to list
- 1 cup finely minced wild or domestic mushrooms Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fesh basil, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves Add to list
- 1 cup freshly grated aged Parmesan cheese Add to list
For the garnish:
- Whole basil leaves and additional Parmesan Add to list
In a heavy pot, heat the olive oil and cook the shallots until translucent. From this point on the pan will need constant watching.
Over medium high heat, add the grains and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add the wine and stir until absorbed into the grains. Pour in 1 cup of the chicken broth, add the mushrooms and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Add an additional cup of the stock and stir, once again, until fully absorbed. Proceed in this fashion with all the remaining broth except 1/2 cup, until the grains are cooked al denté.
As the final step, stir in the basil, thyme and 1/2 cup of the stock. This should make the grains a little bit juicy. Immediately stir in the Parmesan. The cheese will melt into the stock and form a creamy sauce around the grains. Serve immediately, garnished with sprigs of basil and Parmesan cheese.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Sound Consumer October 2002