Rich and Spicy Dark Chocolate Pudding
Cocoa powder and spices such as cinnamon and cloves are rich in antioxidants, which help counter inflammation.
- 3 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder Add to list
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Pinch of ground cloves Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- Pinch of cayenne Add to list
- 2 cups 2 percent milk, divided Add to list
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or half of a 3.5-ounce dark chocolate bar, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract Add to list
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream or plain Greek yogurt for topping (optional) Add to list
In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt and spices. Whisk in 1/3 cup cold milk a little at a time to create a smooth, thin paste.
In a medium saucepan, combine chocolate and remaining 1 2/3 cups milk. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted. Gradually whisk the cocoa paste into the chocolate mixture, continuing to stir over low heat until the pudding thickens. Cook for 1 minute more.
Remove pan from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.
Divide among 4 dishes and serve warm or cover the surface of the pudding directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until fully set, about 2 hours. To serve, top each pudding with whipped cream or Greek yogurt, if desired.
Each serving: 190cal, 6g fat (4g sat), 10mg chol, 160mg sodium, 30g carb, 3g fiber, 6g protein