Rich and Spicy Dark Chocolate Pudding
Cocoa powder and spices such as cinnamon and cloves are rich in antioxidants, which help counter inflammation.
- 3 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder Add to list
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Pinch of ground cloves Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- Pinch of cayenne Add to list
- 2 cups low-fat milk, divided Add to list
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or half of a 3 1/2-ounce dark chocolate bar, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract Add to list
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream or plain Greek yogurt for topping (optional) Add to list
In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt and spices. Whisk in 1/3 cup cold milk a little at a time to create a smooth, thin paste.
In a medium saucepan, combine chocolate and remaining 1 2/3 cups milk. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted. Gradually whisk cocoa paste into chocolate mixture, continuing to stir over low heat until pudding thickens. Cook for 1 minute more.
Remove pan from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.
Divide among 4 dishes and serve warm or cover the surface of the pudding directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until fully set, about 2 hours. To serve, top each pudding with whipped cream or Greek yogurt, if desired.
Each serving: 190cal, 6g fat (4g sat), 10mg chol, 160mg sodium, 30g carb, 3g fiber, 21g sugars, 6g protein