Rhubarb Cardamom Muffins
Yield: Makes 9 muffins
Bright and tangy rhubarb is blended with the subtle hint of cardamom in these perfect brunch muffins.
- 1 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) chopped rhubarb Add to list
- 1/4 cup sugar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, divided Add to list
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened Add to list
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 cup half-and-half Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease or line 9 muffin cups; fill the other 3 cups halfway with water.
Combine rhubarb, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cardamom in a bowl. Let stand until rhubarb releases some juice, about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining cardamom. Add butter mixture alternately with half-and-half, mixing until just moistened. Gently fold in the rhubarb. Divide batter between the prepared muffin cups.
Bake until muffins are dry and springy to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes before removing. Serve warm.
Each muffin: 270 cal, 110g fat (7g sat), 80mg chol, 140mg sodium, 36g carb, 1g fiber, 5g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »