Refrigerator Dilly Beans
Yield: 2 half-pint jars
The classic quick pickle, these snappy beans are great for Bloody Marys or as an appetizer.
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt Add to list
- 1 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 3 sprigs fresh dill (or use 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed per jar) Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled Add to list
- Red pepper flakes, black peppercorns, mustard seeds, dried hot peppers, etc., to taste (optional) Add to list
- 1/2 pound green or yellow wax beans — washed, trimmed and cut into jar-length pieces Add to list
In a stainless steel saucepan, combine salt, sugar, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Remove from the heat.
Place 1 sprig dill, 1 clove garlic and desired amount spices into each jar. Pack beans into jars to within a generous 1/2-inch of the top of the jar. Ladle hot pickling liquid into the jar to cover beans.
Cool to room temperature and then store, covered, in the refrigerator. Allow green beans to marinate 8 to 12 hours before enjoying. Eat within one month.
Note: Jar Sterilizing Instructions: Wash your jars, bands and lids in hot, soapy water. Place empty jars in a large pot and completely cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then boil for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave them in the hot water for up to 1 hour before filling.