Red Velvet Bread Pudding
The addition of beets not only lends a beautiful red color, but makes this dessert incredibly moist and plays up its deep chocolate flavor. This is delicious served warm with a dollop of Greek Gods Honey yogurt.
- 1/2 cup milk Add to list
- 1 cup half and half Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or 1 10-ounce bag) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter Add to list
- 5 cups cubed PCC White Italian or Campagnolo loaf Add to list
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk Add to list
- 1/2 cup sugar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 cup cooked peeled and puréed (or finely grated) beets Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a medium saucepan, combine milk, half and half, chocolate chips and butter. Place over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate has melted, about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar and vanilla. Whisk in warm milk mixture until combined. Add beets, then gently stir in bread cubes until well moistened.
Pour mixture into a lightly buttered 9-inch pan and bake until pudding has puffed and is firm, about 25 minutes. Cool at least 10 minutes.
Each serving: 350 cal, 18g fat (10g sat), 100mg chol, 190mg sodium, 46g carb, 3g fiber, 6g protein