Soups are an excellent way to work additional portions of nutritional foods like beans, vegetables and lean meats into your diet. For a healthy soup-making start, try this ravioli stew — packed with fresh vegetables and hearty cheese ravioli.
- 2 cups sliced carrots Add to list
- 1 onion, chopped Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 (14-ounce) cans vegetable or mushroom broth Add to list
- 2 (14-ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained Add to list
- 1 8-ounce can white beans like cannellini, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper Add to list
- 9-ounce package of refrigerated cheese-stuffed ravioli pasta Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
Combine all ingredients, except ravioli and Parmesan cheese, in a three- to four-quart crockpot. Cover and cook on low for six hours until carrots are tender.
Increase heat to high and stir in ravioli. Cover and cook for six to eight minutes, until ravioli are tender. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Combine all ingredients, except ravioli and Parmesan cheese, in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add ravioli and simmer for an additional six to eight minutes, until ravioli are tender. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Source: Sound Consumer March 2006
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »