Ravioli Lasagna with Baby Spinach and Northwest Portobello Mushrooms
Serves: 6 to 8
This is one of those dishes that I prepare when I want to have a super quick meal I know everyone will love. It starts with fresh ravioli, so you don’t need to boil the pasta! Then it’s layered with Northwest greats like sautéed baby spinach, mushrooms and cheese. You’ll love this one!
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced Add to list
- 3 to 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced Add to list
- 2 pounds (about 8 to 10 cups) fresh baby spinach Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce (usually about 26 ounces) Add to list
- 24 to 30 ounces refrigerated or frozen ravioli (your favorite flavor) Add to list
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese Add to list
- Optional garnish: thinly sliced red bell pepper and basil or parsley leaves Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and turn the heat to medium high. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes more or until the onions are tender and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has been absorbed.
Stir in the spinach (it will look like a lot but it will cook down considerably). Stir-fry the spinach into the mushroom mixture until it is dark green and there is very little to no liquid left in the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a strainer and press to drain any remaining liquid.
Place a thin layer of sauce in a 9x13-inch baking dish and layer 1/3 of the ravioli on top in a single layer. Top with a thin layer of sauce, 1/2 of the mushroom/spinach filling and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat this layer with 1/3 of the ravioli, a layer of sauce, the rest of the filling and 1/3 of the cheese. Top with the remaining ravioli and the sauce. Reserve the remaining cheese.
Cover the dish with a layer of parchment paper and then wrap in foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and parchment paper and top with the remaining cheese. (You may garnish with thinly sliced red bell pepper and basil leaves if you like.) Place back in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes more, until golden and bubbly.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: PCC Fresh March 2009