Radish and Arugula Salad
Yield: Makes about 2 cups
- 1 bunch radishes, tops and root tips removed Add to list
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves Add to list
- 8 basil leaves Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black or white sesame seeds Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro Add to list
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon chili oil Add to list
Cut the radishes into thin slices crosswise. Stack the slices and cut into thin strips. Stack the arugula leaves on top of each other (about eight leaves at a time) and cut into thin strips. Do the same with the basil. Combine radishes, arugula and basil along with the sesame seeds and cilantro in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, salt and chili oil. These two separate steps may both be done up to an hour ahead of serving. About 10 minutes before serving, toss the ingredients from both bowls together. (If the salad and its dressing are combined too far ahead it will make the radishes mushy.)
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: "Gardening with Ciscoe" May 5, 2007
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »