Quinoa Salad with Peaches and Pickled Onions
Serves: 4 to 6
The sweetness of peaches is paired with the brightness of pickled onions (and the pickling liquid makes the perfect homemade dressing!).
- 1 cup rainbow quinoa, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided Add to list
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, peeled Add to list
- 3/4 cup Champagne vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, or to taste Add to list
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced Add to list
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled Add to list
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 5 ounces baby arugula or watercress (or a combination) Add to list
Combine quinoa, stock or water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and let simmer until the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes off the heat, then fluff with a fork.
Place onions and garlic in a bowl. Combine 1 teaspoon salt, vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over onions and garlic and let stand 30 minutes. Drain, reserving pickling liquid.
In a large bowl, combine pickled onions, peaches, cheese, olive oil, tarragon and 3 tablespoons pickling liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in quinoa and arugula. Add additional pickling liquid, if desired.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »