- 1 stalk broccoli Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 medium leek, chopped, about 3/4 cup Add to list
- 1 medium zucchini cut in large pieces, about 2 cups Add to list
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, diced, about 1 cup Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Add to list
- 1 quart vegetable broth Add to list
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried Add to list
Prepare broccoli by removing crown from stem. Peel and chop stem. Separate crown into flowerets. Meanwhile, heat a 3-quart pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and leek. Sauté briefly. Add broccoli and continue to sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Add zucchini and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
Add salt, fennel seed and black pepper. Pour in broth and add quinoa. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes, or until the broccoli is fork-tender and quinoa is cooked.
Blend soup with remaining herbs until smooth. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor