Yield: Makes about 1 quart
A tangy, spicy, Korean staple, kimchi is cabbage that’s fermented with red pepper flakes and other seasonings. This recipe for quick kimchi foregoes the fermentation process but offers that sour-spicy flavor.
- 1 head Napa cabbage (1 to 1 1/2 pounds) Add to list
- 1/4 cup salt Add to list
- 2 cups water Add to list
- 1/2 cup rice or white vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger Add to list
- 2 tablespoons hot chili paste, more or less to taste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce Add to list
- 4 green onions, chopped Add to list
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated Add to list
Cut cabbage in quarters and remove cores. Slice leaves into 1-inch squares. Place cabbage in a large pot with salt and water; mix well. Cook over medium heat until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse several times under cool water; dry well.
Whisk together vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger, chili paste and fish sauce.
Combine cabbage, green onions, carrots and dressing in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Place in a clean glass jar or dish with a lid and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Use within 10 days.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »