Quick and Easy Hummus
Yield: About 2 cups
A really well-made hummus with tahini is a thing of beauty, with complex, balanced flavor. It’s likely familiar as a dip for vegetables, but try adding it to burgers, noodle salads, deviled eggs or salad dressing.
- 1 clove garlic Add to list
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste) Add to list
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 2 cups cooked or canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (see note) Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste Add to list
- Salt Add to list
- Extra virgin olive oil Add to list
In a food processor or blender combine the garlic clove, tahini and lemon juice and process for one minute. Add the chickpeas and process until smooth. Add water, a little at a time, to achieve desired consistency.
Add the cumin, cayenne and salt and process. Taste and adjust seasonings. Transfer to a serving bowl, smooth top and drizzle with olive oil.
Canned beans are fine in this recipe, but we suggest cooking a pot of Pedrosillano cafe garbanzo beans to try the difference. Available in our bulk department, this variety of bean has a creamy texture and nutty flavor that is perfect in hummus.
For additional flavor, reserve the garbanzo cooking liquid and use it as a replacement for the 1/4 cup water in this recipe.
Source: PCC Natural Markets
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »