Pumpkin Soufflé Pie
This is a lighter version of the traditional pumpkin pie. It has an airy texture that pairs especially well with ginger ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée Add to list
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar Add to list
- 3 large eggs, separated Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups evaporated skim milk (may substitute rice milk) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 1 9-inch pie shell Add to list
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In large mixing bowl, beat together pumpkin, sugar, egg yolks, spices and salt until very smooth.
Stir in evaporated skim milk. The mixture should have the consistency of porridge or oatmeal—it should drop easily from a spoon. Add up to 1 tablespoon more milk if needed, to thin it out.
Using an electric mixer or large whisk, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of sugar, beating as you add, until stiff, glossy peaks form.
Stir 1/4 cup egg whites into pumpkin mixture. Using a broad silicone spatula, gently fold in remaining egg whites just until no white streaks remain.
Pour filling into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°F and cook another hour, until a knife inserted in the center comes out cleanly. Turn off oven heat and leave the door ajar to let the pie cool for 25 minutes. Remove from room temperature and cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.