Classic Pumpkin Pie
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
A favorite dessert during the holidays, you can make this pumpkin pie with fresh or canned pumpkin.
- 1 small sugar pie pumpkin or 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree Add to list
- 1 cup milk Add to list
- 1/2 cup cream Add to list
- 1/4 cup brown sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup white sugar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon clove Add to list
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten Add to list
- 1 prepared pie crust Add to list
Wash pumpkin and cut it in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and strings. Place it on a baking sheet, shell-side up and roast in a 325° F oven for 1 hour or more, depending on size, until it is tender and begins to fall apart. Scrape pulp from the shell and put it through a ricer, food processor or blender. Measure out 2 cups puree.
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Place 2 cups pumpkin puree in a large mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in milk and cream. Whisk in brown and white sugars until thoroughly combined. Add salt, cinnamon, ginger and clove and mix until they're well blended. Whisk in beaten eggs until they are completely incorporated, and no streaks of yolk or white remain.
Pour custard into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes at 425° F. Reduce heat to 350° F and bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer.
Each serving: 290 cal, 14g fat (6g sat), 105mg chol, 280mg sodium, 36g carb, 2g fiber, 23g sugars, 5g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef