Pumpkin with Black Bean Soup
Prep time: 1 hour
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds pumpkin or other winter squash, steamed and scraped from the shell Add to list
- 1 large sweet potato, cut in quarters and steamed with the pumpkin Add to list
- 2 medium leeks, halved, washed and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1 red pepper, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 5 to 6 cups garlic stock or vegetable stock Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tamari Add to list
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- Lime juice to taste Add to list
Quarter and seed the pumpkin. Steam pumpkin quarters with sweet potatoes 10-15 minutes until soft; allow to cool.
In a large saucepan, sauté leeks in olive oil until soft and transparent; add garlic, red pepper and cumin and cook an additional minute. Place sweet potato and pumpkin in pan, cover with 5 cups stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Allow to cool. Purée until smooth and creamy. If soup is too thick, add additional stock. Add ginger, soy sauce and black beans. Bring back to boil; lower heat and simmer an additional 5 minutes to heat through.
Serve garnished with fresh cilantro and lime juice.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »