Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Wrapped Asparagus
These ingredients are:
Let's celebrate! It's spring in the Northwest and you know what that means ... asparagus! Tender, crisp and elegant, there are so many ways to prepare our favorite vegetable. This little salad, with its combination of warm and cool ingredients, is a lovely way to highlight the delicious beauty of the season!
For the asparagus:
- 12 asparagus spears, tough ends removed Add to list
- Extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- Splash of truffle oil (optional) Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 6 slices prosciutto Add to list
- 6 ounces chèvre cheese, softened Add to list
For the Warm Hazelnut and Sour Cherry Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar Add to list
- 1/4 cup honey or brown sugar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce Add to list
- Pinch of ground clove Add to list
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts Add to list
- 2 tablespoons dried sour Washington state cherries Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste Add to list
- 2 to 3 cups PCC organic mixed baby greens (you may toss in fresh mint, basil and arugula if you so desire) Add to list
Preheat oven to 425° F. Toss the asparagus with the olive oil, truffle oil if desired, salt and pepper. Spread the spears out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 4 to 6 minutes, depending on thickness, until the asparagus is crisp-tender. Don't overcook. The asparagus will continue to cook a bit after they have been removed from the oven. Let cool.
Lay a slice of prosciutto out on a work surface, spread with a layer of chèvre (about 1/4-inch thick). Place 2 asparagus spears on top of the cheese, cross wise. Roll the prosciutto into a tight pinwheel around the asparagus. Repeat with the rest of the prosciutto, chèvre and asparagus.
In a small bowl combine the sherry wine vinegar, honey or brown sugar, sweet chili sauce and clove. Blend well.
In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the oil and sauté the leeks for 1 to 2 minutes or until a little golden on the edges. Add the ginger, hazelnuts and cherries and cook for 1 minute more. Pour in the sherry wine vinegar-honey mixture and bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
Toss the mixed greens with a little vinaigrette and divide between 6 salad plates. Cut each asparagus bundle in half on the diagonal and lay one bundle on each plate. Drizzle the entire plate with the warm vinaigrette, evenly distributing the hazelnuts and cherries.
You may grill the asparagus if you prefer. Preheat your grill to high and cook, turning occasionally, until slightly charred and crisp tender, about 3 to 6 minutes.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on April 6, 2013.
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »