Prime Rib of Beef
- 1 bone-in rib roast (6 pounds or 1/2 to 1 pound per person, depending on appetites) Add to list
- 1/2 cup coarse sea salt Add to list
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground black pepper Add to list
- 1/4 cup freshly minced garlic Add to list
- 1/3 cup good-quality olive oil, such as Spectrum Organic Olive Oil Add to list
Preheat oven to 325°F. Bring the roast out of the refrigerator 1 hour before you place it in the oven. Make a "paste" out of the salt, pepper, minced garlic, and olive oil, mixing it with a wooden spoon. Place the roast in a roasting pan without a rack and spread the salt mixture over the top of the roast. Allow the roast to continue to rest at room temperature (for no longer than 1 hour total).
Place the roast in the preheated oven and cook to 120°F (for rare meat, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours), to 140°F (for medium meat, approximately 2 hours) or 165°F (for medium- well to well-done meat, approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours). PCC recommends an internal temperature of 165°F for safety.
Remove from oven and allow the roast to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Note: If you'd like a more crispy or browned crust, increase the oven temperature to 400° for the last 20 minutes of suggested roasting time.
Recipe by, former PCC staff