Powerhouse Breakfast with Date Bits and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
This breakfast treat is more exciting than a bowl of oatmeal could ever be. It makes a fun, healthy, homemade gift, too.
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds Add to list
- 1/2 cup amaranth seeds Add to list
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats Add to list
- 1/2 cup millet Add to list
- 1/2 brown teff seeds Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon allspice) Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates Add to list
Toast pumpkin seeds in a dry saucepan set over medium heat, until crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside and cool to room temperature. Once cool, pour them into small bag or other container.
In a medium bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients. Package the mixture in a jar or gift bag. Add the package of pumpkin seeds to the top of the jar.
Include these cooking instructions with gift:
To serve two, mix 1/2 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cups cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered for 15 to 20 minutes. For thinner cereal, add a bit more water or milk. For a thicker treat, simmer a bit longer. Serve topped with milk or a pat of butter and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »