Powerhouse Breakfast with Date Bits and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Great gift idea. Makes about 2 1/2 cups, plus 1/2 cup seeds
- 1/2 cup each: amaranth seeds, raw buckwheat groats, millet and brown teff seeds Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon allspice) Add to list
- 1/2 cup date pieces (these are sold dusted in oat flour, packaged in the dried fruit section) Add to list
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds Add to list
Combine all ingredients, except pumpkin seeds. With pumpkin seeds, toast lightly in a dry pan over medium heat. Set aside and cool.
Package cereal and spice mixture in a pretty container. Place toasted pumpkin seeds in a smaller package and slip into larger container.
Include these instructions with gift:
To serve two, mix 1/2 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cups cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered for 15 to 20 minutes. For thinner cereal, add a bit of water or milk. For a thicker treat, simmer a bit longer. Serve topped with milk or a pat of butter and toasted pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager