Potato Leek Soup
Serves: 6 to 8
PCC Cooks instructor Marie Donadio says, “After I developed this recipe, I found that Julia Child had published her classic recipe three years before I was born. I guess I was on the right track.”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 2 to 3 leeks (about 1 pound), white and light green parts, halved and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 to 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 6 to 8 cups water, vegetable or chicken stock Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Heavy cream or butter (see note) Add to list
- Minced parsley or chives for garnish Add to list
Heat a 3- to 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil and leeks; sauté until leeks begin to turn translucent. Add potatoes, water or stock, and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, partially covered, 30 to 40 minutes.
You may purée the soup or leave it chunky. Add a dollop of cream or butter just before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley, chives and pepper, to taste.
Sour cream, yogurt, crème fraîche or coconut milk may be used instead of butter or cream.
Each serving: 150 cal, 3.5g fat (1.5g sat), 5mg chol, 270mg sodium, 26g carb, 3g fiber, 2g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer October 2007
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »