Potato Galette with Smoked Salmon
An elegant side dish at the brunch buffet, or the main course with a side salad, this potato galette is sure to please!
- Butter, for pan Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 2 shallots, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 pound new potatoes (Yukon Gold or red potatoes are a great choice), unpeeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided Add to list
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche Add to list
- 6 ounces sliced smoked salmon Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F. Generously butter a 7 1/2-inch tart pan with a removable bottom or a cast-iron skillet or other oven-safe pan. Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
Combine oil and shallots in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until shallots are soft but not brown, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool. In a bowl, toss together shallots and oil, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper.
Cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of potato slices, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese. Arrange another layer of potatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Repeat 2 more times until you have four layers of potatoes.
Bake the galette until golden brown and potatoes are tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Let the galette cool in the pan for 15 minutes, and then run a paring knife around the edge to loosen it. Carefully remove the galette from the pan. Cut into 6 wedges. Top each wedge with a dollop of crème fraîche and a slice of smoked salmon.
Each serving: 230 cal, 13g fat (5g sat), 25mg chol, 610mg sodium, 13g carb, 1g fiber, 15g protein