Potato, Celery and Ham Salad Tarragon
Prep time: 45 minutes or less
This recipe takes potato salad to a new level. It calls for Black Forest Ham — which the PCC delis stock and will gladly slice for you — and for mayonnaise or crème fraîche. We recommend using crème fraîche for its elegant flavor. Besides, it's no more (perhaps less) fattening than mayonnaise. It's also a whole food in its natural state.
- 1 pound medium-size red potatoes Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tarragon white-wine vinegar Add to list
- 2 1/4 cups thin sliced celery (about 5 stalks) Add to list
- 4 ounces Black Forest ham, cut into 1 1/2- x 1/4-inch strips Add to list
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise or crème fraîche Add to list
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
- Fresh tarragon sprigs (optional) Add to list
Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 22 minutes. Drain. Cool to lukewarm. Peel potatoes. Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices and place in large bowl. Drizzle vinegar over; toss to coat. Cool completely.
Add celery, ham, mayonnaise or créme fraîche, and chopped tarragon to potatoes. Toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with tarragon sprigs, if desired.
Source: Excerpted from "Bon Appetit" June 1997
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »