Polenta e Porri (Polenta with Leeks)
Serves: 6 to 8
- 6 cups water or stock Add to list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups polenta (*See note below if using instant polenta) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 4 large or 8 medium leeks, white part only, washed and cut into thin strips Add to list
- 5 ounces Fontina cheese, cut into cubes Add to list
- Freshly ground pepper Add to list
Bring water or stock to boil. Add salt and whisk in polenta in a fine stream while stirring. Turn down the heat and cook polenta, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, for about 20 minutes, or until polenta is very soft.
Melt butter in a large frying pan over moderate heat. Add leeks, cover and braise gently, stirring from time to time, until leeks are soft. Add Fontina cubes, stir a few times and remove from heat, keeping warm.
Spoon polenta onto individual plates in the form of a nest. Spoon leek and Fontina mixture into the centers. Sprinkle with pepper to taste and serve immediately.
*If using instant polenta: Bring 5 cups water to a boil. Add 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and whisk in 1 2/3 cups De la Estancia instant polenta (in packages or from bulk foods) in a fine stream while stirring. Turn the heat down to low and cook the polenta, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until polenta is very soft. Do this step after you cook the leeks.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor