Pla Sam Rod (Pan-fried White Fish with Three-flavors Sauce
A traditional Thai recipe for pan-fried white fish with three-flavors sauce.
- 6 (4-ounce) fillets any firm, white fish Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 3 tablespoons high-heat canola oil Add to list
- 2 hot Thai chiles, minced Add to list
- 6 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 cup seeded and diced bell peppers Add to list
- 1 cup diced onions (about 1 medium yellow onion) Add to list
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (about 3 medium tomatoes) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce or sweet chili sauce Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or more as needed Add to list
- 1/2 cup water, fish stock or chicken broth Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided Add to list
Rub fish with salt. Heat oil in a frying pan until hot. Pan-fry fish for 5 minutes or until firm. Remove and place on a warm serving platter.
Remove any crumbs from the pan and, over medium-high heat, add Thai chiles, garlic, diced peppers and onions. Cook until fragrant, and onions are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, pepper or chile sauce, sugar, lime juice and fish sauce; let cook for 1 minute. Add water or broth and bring to a boil. Stir in half the cilantro and remove from heat.
Pour sauce over the fish and garnish with remaining cilantro.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor