Pla Neung Ma Now (Steamed White Fish in Plum Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons water Add to list
- 8 thin fillets of trout, sole or any white fish Add to list
- Pinch of salt for the fish, plus 1 teaspoon for the sauce Add to list
- Parchment paper to cover the fish Add to list
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled Add to list
- 5 small Thai chiles, or 1 jalapeño or serrano chile Add to list
- 1 cilantro root or stem Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce Add to list
- 3 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 8 slices lime Add to list
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Place water and fish in a large baking pan, then sprinkle salt on top of the fish. Cover with parchment paper and let steam in the oven until cooked, about 10 minutes.
While the fish is steaming, make the sauce. If using a mortar and pestle, pound garlic, peppers, cilantro root or stem and 1 teaspoon salt until smooth. Add sugar, fish sauce and lime juice and stir until sugar dissolves. If using a food processor or blender, blend garlic, peppers, cilantro root or stem, sugar, fish sauce and lime juice about 30 seconds until smooth.
When the fish is cooked, place on a serving dish with all the steaming water, pour sauce over the fish, then garnish with lime slices and cilantro leaves.
Each serving: 170 cal, 2g fat (0g sat), 85mg chol, 770mg sodium, 6g carb, 0g fiber, 31g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor