Pla Neung Ma Now (Steamed White Fish in Plum Sauce)
A spicy and fragrant Thai steamed fish dish.
- 2 tablespoons water Add to list
- 8 thin fillets of trout, sole or any white fish Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional for sprinkling Add to list
- Parchment paper Add to list
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled Add to list
- 5 small Thai chiles or 1 jalapeño or serrano chile Add to list
- 1 cilantro root or stem Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce Add to list
- 3 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 8 slices lime Add to list
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Place water and fish in a large baking pan; sprinkle fish with salt. Cover with parchment paper and let steam in the oven until cooked, about 10 minutes.
While fish is steaming, make the sauce. If using a mortar and pestle, pound garlic, peppers, cilantro root or stem and 1 teaspoon salt until smooth. Add sugar, fish sauce and lime juice and stir until sugar dissolves. If using a food processor or blender, blend garlic, peppers, cilantro root or stem, sugar, fish sauce and lime juice for about 30 seconds until smooth.
When the fish is cooked, place on a serving dish with the steaming liquid. Pour sauce over the fish, then garnish with lime slices and cilantro leaves.
Each serving: 170 cal, 2g fat (0g sat), 85mg chol, 770mg sodium, 6g carb, 0g fiber, 31g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor