Pisto Manchego (Spanish Ratatouille)
Spain's version of ratatouille often is served with a fried egg and a slice of fresh, crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 onion, diced Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 small eggplant, diced Add to list
- 2 summer squash, diced Add to list
- 2 green bell peppers, diced Add to list
- 1/2 cup white wine Add to list
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 3 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano Add to list
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 4 eggs, fried Add to list
- 1/4 cup grated Manchego cheese Add to list
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cooking until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in eggplant, squash and peppers; cook for 5 minutes. Pour in wine and simmer, stirring occasionally, until wine is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and add tomatoes. Simmer gently until juices have thickened and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in oregano and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowls, top with a fried egg and sprinkle with Manchego cheese.
Each serving: 190 cal, 7g fat (3g sat), 10mg chol, 610mg sodium, 24g carb, 8g fiber, 9g protein