Pistachio and Lemongrass Gyro Skewers
Yield: about 12 skewers
When it comes to simplicity and amazing flavor, these just might be my favorite appetizer on the planet! The aromatic flavors of lemongrass, garlic and cilantro cook up in a sizzling symphony and the pomegranate dipping sauce lends a sweet-spicy note.
- 1 pound ground lamb or chicken Add to list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint Add to list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tamari Add to list
- 2 tablespoons finely minced lemongrass Add to list
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 cup sweet chili sauce Add to list
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice Add to list
Combine lamb or chicken, pistachios, garlic, mint, cilantro, sugar, tamarai, lemongrass, pepper and salt in a bowl.
Roll the mixture into balls about the size of a Ping-Pong ball. Flatten out each ball slightly and wrap it around a small bamboo fork or a short metal or wooden skewer. (Soak any wooden skewers in water for a couple of hours before wrapping with the mixture.)
Place chili sauce and pomegranate juice in a small pot and boil for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly reduced.
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill and grill the skewers, turning frequently, until the meat is done through (165° F internal temperature taken with an instant-read thermometer).
Serve with chili-pomegranate dipping sauce.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired December 20, 2011.