PCC Pipian Cream Chicken Enchiladas
With a flavorful pumpkin seed sauce and cheesy richness, these creamy enchiladas are a comforting crowd pleaser.
- 2 cups heavy cream Add to list
- 1 1/4 pounds Chicken Enchilada Filling Add to list
- 14 corn tortillas Add to list
- 1 cup Pipian Sauce Add to list
- 1/4 pound shredded cheddar cheese Add to list
- 1/4 pound four cheese blend Add to list
for the filling
- 2 pounds cooked chicken meat Add to list
- 1 cup canned diced green chiles Add to list
- 1/2 pound shredded four-cheese blend Add to list
- 1/2 pound shredded cheddar cheese Add to list
for the pipian sauce
to make the filling
Finely chop chicken meat for ease of rolling in tortilla. Combine all ingredients and store in refrigerator if not using immediately.
to make the sauce
Puree cooled pumpkin seeds in food processor. Add all remaining ingredients in food processor and puree to pesto consistency.
to make the enchiladas
Heat cream in a large sauté pan over medium heat until it just comes to a boil. Add Chicken Enchilada Filling, stir and simmer for 5 minutes. turn off heat.
Warm tortillas until pliable on the stovetop or in the microwave.
In a 9- by- 13-inch baking pan, ladle Pipian Sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay tortillas in pan, fill with 1/4 cup Chicken Enchilada Filling and roll tightly. Group rolled tortillas in pairs. Top enchiladas with sauce and both cheeses.
Bake at 350˚F for 10 to 12 minutes, until bubbling.
To toast pumpkin seeds, preheat oven to 350˚ F. Spread seeds on a baking sheet and toast for 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »